SailNet Community - View Single Post - mainsheet sheet control and adjustable genoa cars
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 11-18-2019
SchockT

Re: mainsheet sheet control and adjustable genoa cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
I have made similar observations as yourself. With my C&C 32 I want to move the traveler from the coach roof to the cockpit, but I think before I do, I may try to route traveler controls to the stern. I think if I can get that level of control it'll be looking for most of the time I single hand. The mainsheet on the roof requires a bit much effort as well, and I am not fond of it. So I may eventually move it to the threshhold at the companionway.

As for adjustable cars, I don't know what to say other than I created poor mans fully adjustable cars on my Wavelength 24, they were great, but I never adjusted them under load. To me the advantage is more about being able to set them at any distance you want when not loaded up. I know others start out with the cars far back (more open leech), and then tension as you harden up, to maintain optimal trim throughout the tack (where you over tack, and open up to power up, and then harden up and sheet in, and close the leech). I found even racing that a more properly timed tack, and not to fast or slow through the tack is infinitely more important.

I'll be watching this thread for recommendations though.

I have limited funds to make changes, and right now I think I have a shortened mainsail and raised boom that are my most pressing (and costly) problems to deal with. For the record I am still considering racing the boat next season.
Adjustable genoa cars are not something that is typically adjusted through every tack. The idea of not fully sheeting in right away when coming out of a tack is correct, but that is accomplished with the sheet not the leads. Moving the cars back coming out of a tack is going to cause excessive twist, which does not power up, it depowers.

The reason racers want to be able to adjust the genoa cars under load is to be able to fine tune the twist of the sail as it is adjusted for course changes, mostly when footing or reaching. You don't want to have to depower the sail even for the few seconds it takes to move the car.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Last edited by SchockT; 11-18-2019 at 11:39 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome