SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Dove" crew missing
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 11-20-2019
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: "Dove" crew missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickbryant View Post
This is harsh, but it's my interpretation that the two women aboard S/V Satori, the real-life sailboat depicted in The Perfect Storm, were possibly the "proximate cause" of the loss of one crewman aboard the rescue helicopter and a possible "factor" in the loss of the entire crew of F/V Andrea Gail -- by diverting resources to an unnecessary rescue. The Satori was so robust that, though abandoned by order of the USCG, she went on her way with no one aboard and was recovered later intact. The whole story is here: https://www.westsail.org/satoristorm.

We can't know what happened aboard F/V Andrea Gail. No one lived to tell the story. The movie is pure speculation based on little objective fact. But if the rescue helicopter hadn't ditched due to fuel exhaustion while en-route to her, the story may have ended very differently.

The lesson is: don't let people aboard your vessel issue a spurious distress call. I show my crew and passengers how to use the radio, how the "distress" DSC button works, and how to activate the EPIRB. But I stress, they are not to touch those emergency functions unless I am incapacitated, overboard, or dead. I also stress how a rescue can be more hazardous than hunkering down on board. And that the liferaft is to be used only if they have to step up to get into it. I see the main utility of a liferaft is for rescuing people from another vessel, sent down on a lanyard, where the seastate is too dangerous to lay alongside.
Many of us know and understand the way that Satori story went.
It is -20/20 hindsight to interpret that as the ladies fault.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome