SailNet Community - View Single Post - Universal M-12 in the shop: Offseason proactive attention??
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-22-2019 Thread Starter
w7thmark

Universal M-12 in the shop: Offseason proactive attention??

Hi everyone,

I had a great 1st season with my new-to-me 1988 Pearson 27. I had constant leaking from the Hurth HBW-50 tranny, and towards the end of the season reverse gear stopped working. I've read all the threads on this tranny and options for rebuild or replace, so I won't rehash that here. At the end of the season (up here in the Northeast), I was looking into removing the bell housing and tranny so I can make it right, but decided to just lift the whole engine out after I saw how easy it was. It's now safely on my shop floor. In addition to the tranny, I can see that the exhaust mixing elbow needs work. Other than that, I planned to clean up rust and repaint in areas.

This is my first diesel engine. While I have the engine in my nice warm shop and lots of time, what else should I proactively consider doing? The engine ran great, started right up every time. I have no idea of hours on the engine nor do I know anything about the service history. Any thoughts on what I should do to increase the likelihood of future trouble-free motoring? Thanks.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome