SailNet Community - View Single Post - Universal M-12 in the shop: Offseason proactive attention??
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 11-23-2019
Minnewaska

Re: Universal M-12 in the shop: Offseason proactive attention??

Where was the tranny leaking from: the case halves, the shifter plate? I had a hurth tranny rebuilt years back and it leaked several times, until I finally bought a new one. I presume the shop was using the proper locktite on the case bolts (mine was leaking a the mating surface of the halves). Very frustrating. Consider new, if the leak isn't obvious. Gears are not cheap, but they aren't outrageous either, if you buy direct from ZF/Hurth. Be sure to get the reduction gear ratio correct, most model come in several ratios.

Good to hear the engine is running well. If it was on my shop floor, I'd check compression for the heck of it. Some push back on this, but if I don't know when wearables were last replaced, I much prefer to do them all: hoses, belts, impellers, coolant, oil, filters, clean and pop test injectors. If fresh water cooled, I'd flush and rinse that side and descale the raw water side. You can set up a circulating pump to run rydlyme for a few hours on the raw water side. Alternatively, you can remove the heat exchanger and soak to clean it in rydlyme. Always good to touch up the paint to prevent corrosion too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome