SailNet Community - View Single Post - Universal M-12 in the shop: Offseason proactive attention??
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 11-25-2019 Thread Starter
w7thmark

Re: Universal M-12 in the shop: Offseason proactive attention??

Thanks for all the great advice everybody.

Regarding the tranny, I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that it's not worth the effort to troubleshoot, rebuild, etc., and that I should just go ahead and replace.

Regarding proactive service for the engine, all great feedback. So far:

motor mounts: Check, will replace
damper plate: Check, I've read in multiple places that this is the right time to do this (while you have the bell housing off)
wire harness upgrade: Check, will do. I still have the "trailer light connectors" which I've read should be eliminated.
remove rust and paint: Will do. Lots of questions about the right way to do this, but I'll research first before I ask stupid questions.
hoses, fuel lines, clamps, etc.: Will probably do some of those that are in bad shape.
moving the oil plan drain: Interesting. Will investigate.
engine room: actually already cleaned up really well, and there is a removable and cleanable plastic tray under the engine that collects fluids (such as all the fluid that went in and out of my tranny this season)
soak/descale the heat exchanger: Good idea.

Regarding comments: Check compression, pop test injectors, check injector timing, and leakdown test. This is where I'm at my knowledge limits. Like I said, my first diesel. Is this within the capabilities of a novice? What can or cannot be done without being able to run the engine?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome