SailNet Community - View Single Post - Universal M-12 in the shop: Offseason proactive attention??
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 11-25-2019 Thread Starter
w7thmark

Re: Universal M-12 in the shop: Offseason proactive attention??

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgwinks View Post
Last year I replaced my HBW50 with a New Age PRM60D from ASAP Supplies in the UK. It's a near-drop in replacement, the only difference being the shift lever is on the other side and goes the other direction. Both easily corrected for. Mounting bolt pattern and coupler are exactly the same. It uses cone clutches like a Kanzaki (used on Yanmars) and is much more robust and reliable than the Hurth. Beta uses them on some of their models. Cost was around $500 including shipping, less than rebuilding the Hurth which often doesn't work anyway. ASAP also had the drive plate cheaper than anyone else too.
Along with that I would put on new mounts and do the wire harness upgrade of not already done. Lots of posts here and the other forums about that. There's also an alternator bracket upgrade for the larger Universals, I don't know if that applies to the M12 or not. It was not needed on my old M15.
Yes, I'd heard that this is a good option for an HBW50 replacement. It looks like it's $650 (504 GBP) now. Regarding the plate, the Universal part number for my plate is 299156. Will ASAP have this part number, or will they have an alternative that works for my M12? This is all new to me and I know I have lots of learning and research to do.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome