SailNet Community - View Single Post - Universal M-12 in the shop: Offseason proactive attention??
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 11-25-2019
Minnewaska

Re: Universal M-12 in the shop: Offseason proactive attention??

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7thmark View Post
....hoses, fuel lines, clamps, etc.: Will probably do some of those that are in bad shape.
Up to you. These items have service lives and they don't always look bad at the limits. Beware of folks with anecdotal stories of perpetual lifespans. If you're the kind of person who rather replace upon failure and can live with those consequences, that's the Captain's call. Not the way my maintenance log works.

Quote:
Regarding comments: Check compression, pop test injectors, check injector timing, and leakdown test. This is where I'm at my knowledge limits. Like I said, my first diesel. Is this within the capabilities of a novice? What can or cannot be done without being able to run the engine?
R&R the injectors is not all that tough, but you'll want the service manual, so you know the proper torque specs on install. You also want to know if you need a tool that keeps the injector sleeve (if you have one) inside the head, while you pull the injector. You can certainly buy the tools to do the pop test, but I'd just bring them to a diesel shop to have them tested/cleaned/rebuilt. In some cases, you can even trade them in for new for a reasonable cost.

Engine compression isn't all that hard, nor are the tool cost prohibitive. That one is up to you. Injector timing is a bit more advanced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome