SailNet Community - View Single Post - Great Books to Take Cruising! My new one just arrived!!
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 12-02-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Great Books to Take Cruising! My new one just arrived!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
Any good fish ID books with pictures, what is eatable, such as reef, deep sea, and where they are expected to be?
I have no idea on what could be fished and safely eaten.
Basically, you'd need a book too heavy to carry if it had what fish could be safely eaten where.
I got ciguatera poisoning on my first island in the SoPac in 1972 and have been studying it ever since. I would recommend you do not eat any reef fish without discussing it with a local first. Barracuda are almost always off limits, period! I'm not even going to mention the few places they are safe as it is best to just not eat it.
Pelagic fish like Dolphin (Dorado/Mahi Mahi), tuna, Wahoo, billfish and small mackerel are almost always safe, though the mercury in these fish seems to be increasing enough that some recommend one shouldn't have more than a couple of meals a week.
Any overly large fish should be considered suspect. Small sharks should be safe to eat almost anywhere, though again, and I can't stress this enough, check with the locals before eating any fish caught close to shore or on a reef.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
dimmy (12-02-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome