SailNet Community - View Single Post - Luperon DR
Thread: Luperon DR
View Single Post
post #16 of Old 12-03-2019
colemj

Re: Luperon DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Now people here want to “win” the thread so much they are looking up hurricane tracks, which shows nothing really. No hurricane has hit Luperon since records started being kept so that’s over 150 years. The last hurricane that got close resulted in only 60mph wind in the harbor
I think the confusion here is that the DR gets slammed by major hurricanes pretty regularly; however, the storm tracks are always from the South, and they have to go over huge 10,000' high mountains and 200 miles of island to reach Luperon.

None of them do get to Luperon as anything larger than tropical storm, but usually not even that.

To actually hit Luperon, a hurricane would have to come from the North, or travel directly East-West along a precise latitude, while not being influenced by mountains and land mass. This has never happened with a hurricane, but with the wacko stuff these storms do nowadays - who knows?

We have never been to Luperon. We have spent summers in Panama, Guatemala, and Grenada. Guatemala was the one place that was captive where one couldn't still actively cruise around, and it was hot and humid. However, marinas there with electricity are very cheap, so AC was available - miserable otherwise. Panama and Grenada during the summer is also hot and humid, but one is out and about cruising in clean water, usually with a breeze. Given these experiences, I would not want to stay in a place like Luperon, without AC, and not being able to more widely cruise around.

But we have no personal experience with Luperon, so I only offer the above as generalized personal preference (except for the hurricane stuff - that's just facts).

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome