SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need experienced opinions
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 12-04-2019
midwesterner

Re: Need experienced opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
The forward berth wants good new cushions. The die earlier as you're always sleeping on that middle seem.
Also I have a 2 inch 'topper' on it. Bliss.

The taller partner get the wall side, the shorter partner gets the aisle. Sorry.

Mark
I have given this a lot of thought, because of trying to talk my wife into an eventual cruising or live-aboard life. So far, we have only done charter trips. This means we have always slept on the standard stock cushions, which my wife finds completely inadequate and uncomfortable.

I have worked through many plans in my head, of how I might make a boat of our own more comfortable for her. I have thought of Mark's idea of a thick plush memory foam topper.

My thought is that I would buy a 2 or 3 inch memory foam topper that is as wide as the widest part of the berth. That may mean getting a full size or queen-size topper and cutting it to fit the shape of the V birth. Considering that it raises the bed 2 or 3 inches higher, it seems to me, that you would be able to take advantage of a couple of inches wider space, where the curvature of the hull is wider. It might require cutting the edge on a bevel to fit the sloped side of the hull. This would give you a couple of inches wider bed space.

I have not yet tried this myself, but I believe that I read about one couple doing this on their year-round liveaboard in a marina in New York City.

Last edited by midwesterner; 12-04-2019 at 04:12 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome