SailNet Community - View Single Post - Popsicle Stick Bulkhead Templates
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 12-06-2019 Thread Starter
Kielanders

Popsicle Stick Bulkhead Templates

You old salts probably already know this, and I can't remember where I read this online, but there was an article I found that mentioned how to make precise bulkhead templates.

It basically involves using a hot glue gun and a bag of popsicle sticks, both of which you can find at any craft store.

There's no technique other then heading into the hull and gluing them together following the contours of the area you're looking to match.

I would occasionally tack every 6th stick to the hull to maintain the shape of the outline.

I did two large full beam bulkhead templates in about 10 minutes, and just finished cutting and test fitting one bulkhead in about an hour.

I'd read books and watched videos about using a story pole, scribing sections with scrap lumber, scribing pieces of cardboard, or using the old bulkheads (depending on how cleanly you can cut them out), but then stumbled on this.

For anyone out there pulling their hair out looking for a straight forward idiot proof way to get a precise shape mapped in a difficult confined space, I can testify that this is working great for me.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome