SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boaty-Ball
Thread: Boaty-Ball
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 12-08-2019
Minnewaska

Re: Boaty-Ball

Nothing is very far away in the BVI. Since I'm up by 6am anyway, it's pretty uncommon not to be underway by 9am, after a relaxing morning. That typically gives us a nice morning sail and tie up by early afternoon, which rarely shuts us out of a first come mooring ball. We've anchored numerous times in the BVI too, which we'd do without hesitation. Admittedly, the most protected and close to shore areas of the more popular anchorages are filled with mooring balls now. Still, you can almost always find a place for the hook.

I could see the whole place going to an app based reservation system. I think boaters would pay more for the convenience and arrival flexibility. However, seeing how much is abused by some drunk and/or inexperienced crews in the BVI, I'd think they'd need to be able to police the mooring field for squatters or folks that sat in the wrong seat. There's essentially no such thing as a harbormaster down there tho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
22catcapri (12-08-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome