SailNet Community - View Single Post - The low-down on Lake Michigan
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 12-10-2019
Minnewaska

Re: The low-down on Lake Michigan

I'm only betting that southern and northern Lake Michigan are different. Anyway, where there is a will there is a way, assuming there are marinas that accommodate winter liveaboards. You'd have to discuss the essentials with the marina, they all do it differently (water, power, waste). For example, some winter communities are as primitive as having a "water day", where everyone chains their hoses together and fills all tanks from shore.

I'd want to know how well the docks are cleared of snow and ice too.

I understand it could be an adventure. Personally, I could see giving it a try, but I think it would get old. I know a guy who lived aboard in Boston, which have real winters, but probably not nearly the same as LM. He did it for two seasons and gave it up. That marina required you to run a permanently installed hose from your holding tank deck fitting to an accessible place on the slip, so they could come around and pump out. It disconnected during a pump out once and bits and pieces were freezing before they could be fully cleaned up. I bet that reduced the attraction to winter living.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome