SailNet Community - View Single Post - Joining Sailing/Boating and Yacht Clubs
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 12-13-2019
bigdogandy

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock
Re: Joining Sailing/Boating and Yacht Clubs

Interesting question, Donna...will be curious to hear what the range of collective opinions and experiences are on this.

For me, my folks were members of a sailing club when I was a kid and that's where I learned to sail. After I graduated from high school I held my own membership at that club through my twenties because I had made a lot of friends there over the years and enjoyed the racing and social aspects of being in the club. If I hadn't finally graduated from college and gotten a job (at 30!) I'd probably still be a member there today - if its still around after 35 years or so.......but, I got a job, sold my Nacra, let my membership go, and moved around the country for about 20 years before I landed in south Florida and got another boat. At that point in my life sailing was an escape - I was working 80 hours a week and when I had time to sail I was looking for the peace and solitude of time alone on the boat, not a social scene, so a quiet marina in the keys was what suited me best. Over the next 10 years or so I moved the boat from the Keys up to Port Canaveral and back a few times as I got moved around for work, but each time looked more for a quiet marina rather than a club.

Now that I'm retired, however, I have become more interested in sailing club or yacht club membership. I joined the Royal Marsh Harbour Yacht Club last spring when I was in the Abacos because I had met some fellow cruisers in the anchorage at Green Turtle who recommended it as a way to meet some local cruisers and get discounts on food and fuel at marinas, but unfortunately didn't spend much time getting to know folks thinking I would have more time to do that this coming spring when I went back that way as part of a longer trip to the the Exumas......but Dorian provided a good lesson in not putting things off for tomorrow, huh?

Anyway, that's a long way around to say that it was a matter of what sailing experience I wanted with the time I had available more than a cost versus value decision when deciding to join a sailing / yacht club vs staying in a marina.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome