SailNet Community - View Single Post - Joining Sailing/Boating and Yacht Clubs
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 12-14-2019
midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
There are so many different kinds of clubs from virtual, to member owned, to full service clubs....

However the clubs politics ruined the last few years of our experience, ..... The club was failing financially slowly. Was not run as a business, .....
This group became the the loudest at meetings and any attempt to increase their fees was met with threats. ......

The politics of this lead to a definite conflict. ..... and actually resented the ... history and it’s officers and tradition.

This discourse drove people away as well as their prices up .... and it became a cyclical process. This clubs members were not willing to work on beautification projects together and felt they paid their fees to not to have to do that. I watched other successful member clubs who had healthy participation. They had some hour requirements. The only successful financially clubs controlled their social membership and their voting rights, and ran them as businesses too. While .... members ...
weren’t willing to support it financially.

My point is the politics of the club may be a real turnoff to membership.....

It has been and always will be a discussion of dwindling membership. Reputation helps drive increased membership as do its members attitudes to outsiders.

We didn’t need ..... some member ..... to complain about the club or another member.
I have not yet spent any time at anyplace that has a yacht club, but this sounds like all the worst elements of a youth sports parents club, the PTA, and a neighborhood association, all rolled into one. Scary.

The only reason I might join one, would be to have a place to keep my boat, and to introduce my wife to people in a sailing community. And I can't offer any insight into what young people would want. We were members of a ballroom dance club that died because there were no young couples joining. Near the end, we had long term members who came with their walkers, just to hear the music, and socialize.

Last edited by midwesterner; 12-14-2019 at 03:37 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome