SailNet Community - View Single Post - Joining Sailing/Boating and Yacht Clubs
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 12-14-2019
SanderO

Re: Joining Sailing/Boating and Yacht Clubs

I never joined a club because non of the benefits appealed to me and I believe the costs were too much. I have wintered at a few clubs. I find the restaurant handy when I was doing boat work... the members were friendly. They wanted me to join... that club went out of business. My experience at another wintering was not as positive... very little interaction with members, staff seemed OK... lots of rules. Location of these clubs was close to home in the west end of the Sound but not where I would be sailing usually. As I rarely needed things like reciprocal privileges... slip or mooring... the only features which I might use.... a dinghy landing dock (to walk the dogs) or their restaurant/bar were no available at most clubs. A few of them seemed to welcome non members to their restaurant. I am not one to sit at any bar, drink and shoot the breeze... something many sailors seem to like. I don't race or have kids who need to learn how to sail.

Why be a member of something, a yacht club in this case, if you get nothing of value (to me) for the money?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome