SailNet Community - View Single Post - Charts and Chartplotters
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 12-14-2019 Thread Starter
smurphny
Over Hill Sailing Club

Charts and Chartplotters

I have two forms of chartplotting navigation. One is a very old, rugged, and reliable Garmin 376C but there are no longer recent charts available and it's not compatible with NOAA Raster or Vector. So, a perfectly good piece of hardware is good for the trash bin because it has been thrown under the bus by the company that made it....what else is new? The other is a Toughbook CF31 and a couple of different programs (Sailcruiser and Open CPN). Along with NOAA charts, both of these programs work very well. I am wondering if there are any systems such as Navionics which might be better alternatives as the backup nav system. I would not buy another Garmin because of the proprietary restrictions and Garmin map only approach. We only do USA sailing now so NOAA charts are really all we need. Would like to have the most accurate system on board whether it be Windows, Android or other. Thoughts?

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome