SailNet Community - View Single Post - Leaving Port on Friday
View Single Post
post #29 of Old 12-14-2019 Thread Starter
mbianka

Re: Leaving Port on Friday

Well the adage about not leaving Port on Friday seems to be holding up for this cruise. We are not sinking but, things are not going as planned.

We were delayed three hours leaving New York because of strong currents in the Hudson River.

The pool was closed all day because of the rough conditions. I was hoping to work off some of the food with a couple of swims. The sloshing sounds nice though.

Tonight the Captain gets on the PA and says due to the late start out of New York and the stormy seas and strong head winds we would be late getting into Port Canaveral tomorrow. So we are staying at sea tomorrow and stopping in Florida on Monday instead. Ship speed has been cut back to 12 knots from 20. Smoothing out the ride a bit.

They also scrapped the beach visit to Great Stirrup Cay because the swell conditions make the tender operations unsafe. So no swimming there either. Heading straight to Nassau to spend two days there instead.

After dinner tonight I ordered a double Baileys and wanted to take a walk on the outside deck. But, it was closed off due to the high winds. So I ended up on my Cabins balcony which is on the lee side.

I'm not disappointed since the trip was really all about just spending some time staring at the sea and getting some place warm. Which is still going to happen. It was never about the destinations.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome