SailNet Community - View Single Post - Charts and Chartplotters
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 12-16-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Charts and Chartplotters

OK, were I to go the tablet route, how would I mount it at the helm (in a pod?), and be able to alter screens and views as I do on my MFD, use the touch screen, have a power cord running to it, and have it waterproof enough to take water (not spray) on it?
Nothing anyone has said here addresses these factors.
As for Garmin, how often do any of you, other than Mark, travel far enough that you would require more than a few of Garmin's proprietary charts chips? I use one for Bermuda, one for the eastern Caribbean and one for the western Caribbean. Big deal; 3 chips! Even if one was sailing from the PNW to New England, only 4 or maybe 5 chips would be necessary, considering all US waters (even Ak & Hawaii) are preloaded into all Garmin chartplotters.
That certainly wouldn't (hasn't!) put me off buying a Garmin GPS chartplotter that has given me excellent, reliable and consistently accurate service for over 14 years now, with the last 12 sitting in a pod 24/7/365 at the pedestal, exposed to rain, sun and humidity. It is handy to the helm, easily reached to change screens, view the radar, weather (if in range of SiriusXM Marine Weather), always plugged in and never needs charging, easily read in daylight or dark, 100% waterproof.
And, if one is stuck on the helm for an extended time steering through some heavy weather near shore, what would you folks touting the computer/tablet route use for navigation once your battery has worn down, given that the computer/tablet you are using has survived the several waves that most likely have engulfed the cockpit in those conditions?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome