SailNet Community - View Single Post - Leaving Port on Friday
View Single Post
post #30 of Old 12-17-2019 Thread Starter
mbianka

Re: Leaving Port on Friday

We finally got to land after two days at Sea docking at Port Canaveral about 5:30 a m. After my morning breakfast I went for my morning swim only to find the pool occupied by about 20 crew members in life jackets and a large survival raft that was at the other end of the pool. Apparently there was a training survival course going on for some members of the crew. including how to turn over a upside down survival raft. that was an interesting demonstration and I may make a video of it. They left after 20 minutes and I got my swim in.

I didn't leave the ship. I watched the port operations from my balcony. I was impressed with the security precautions. I watched as a dog was let around all the assembled luggage carts sniffing for explosives before they were allowed to be loaded on the ships. Also any vehicles that traveled on to the dock the drivers had to leave leave the cab and be wanded by security guard checking for metal objects. This included all the regular line handlers who arrived in the pickup trucks with the Port Authority logos on the side. Only then were the crash barriers lowered and they were allowed to drive onto the docks next to the ships to release the dock lines.

After the ship left the dock I went for my evening swim. They started showing Itís a wonderful life on the big outdoor screen. I was able to watch from the pool, Then all of a sudden I heard a commotion and people started running to the stairs to the upper deck. They sent up a rocket from nearby Cape Kennedy and I was able to watch it streak across the sky right from the pool. A great way to end the day.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome