SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Thinking about sharing/partners LIS

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  SanderO 
#1 ·
I am thinking about sharing or a partner for Shiva. I have no specific "deal" in mind and am open to almost anything that works and this includes where the boat will be kept in season and in winter storage.

Any sailor will have to learn the boat even an old salt. Young is better as it relates to the occasional hard work that maintenance can be.... the alternative is to pay yards for find pick up help.

Shiva is a fabulous 36' in fine condition... safe, comfortable and fun boat.

#3 ·
I have considered winter my boat in the tropics... not FL. No offense but I am not a big fan of FL. Been to parts of the state and some lovely places... on land, but it's not my idea of a place to cruise. Wintering in the tropics means I would not winterize the boat but use it year round. And so the Caribe offers the kind of sailing which appeals to me in the winter. I lived on the boat down there for 4 winters.

Thanks for the suggestion. FL is not for me.

#8 ·
I've also had thoughts of "what's next".
For us, rather than keep the big boat, shared or otherwise, I think it would be a lot more fun to downsize to a grand old classic like an 18 to 24 foot gaffer of some type. Lots of varnish (with covers) and a head turner, but stable, easy to sail, and relatively low maintenance. Mostly day sailing and fishing with the occasional week long cruise. A couple of nights aboard, with meals out, and a couple of nights in a hotel, for the shower, pool and room service, perhaps.
At this point, the question would be where this all might take place. We have zero interest in anywhere that doesn't have a year 'round sailing season in a T-shirt and we would not be opposed to one of the lesser developed EC islands. Hurricane season isn't much of a factor with a trailerable boat.
On the other hand, I've heard Uruguay is very hospitable to expats these days....

#9 ·
I like the sound of this, if for no other reason than it keeps a beautiful boat going. I have concerns about expat retirement as political conditions can change quickly. What happens is what was very hospitable becomes not so much so and you can't sell your house/condo? My brother has been looking (not a sailor) but he has been looking mainly at Portugal and Malta. In the past I thought Costa Rica might work out well, but it seems to be getting expensive.

#10 ·
Our what’s next would involve us really exploring the US and Canada. While I’ve traveled extensively in the US my wife has not. We have been looking at 26-30 ft pull able RV. We love nature and to us a pretty vista on land is every bit as soothing for our heads as the water is for us.

We won’t give up sailing entirely , as we made a pact to charter at least 4 times per year. Some bareboat, but some like Capt does are very appealing. Freeing ourself from boat ownership and the dock/ slip in terms of time as well as finances open up many more possibilities for us. I want to do this while we are still young and mobile. And not necessarily wait till sailing just becomes to much for us.

It would have been blasphemy 5 years ago for me friends hear me giving up our sailboat, but we have so many other varied interests, we can see that time coming. It’s not hear yet....of course unless I don’t come fully back from this surgery, but it is definitely something we are now talking about.

Whatever we choose it has to be something we do together. Our sailboat has brought and brings us together as a couple. We enjoy being with each other. So future plans have to have buy in from both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.