SailNet Community - View Single Post - Review Your Own Boat
View Single Post
post #16 of Old 01-04-2020
SchockT

Re: Review Your Own Boat

Jeanneau 39i

We have had Azura for a bit more than a year so we are still in the honeymoon stage, and have so far had one 2 week long trip, and many weekends and overnight trips.

We still love almost everything about the boat;
-Really nice sailing qualities, albeit somewhat under powered in light wind
-good tankage for our purposes
- good battery capacity (needs more charging options though)
-huge amount of storage...we have yet to come close to filling it
-nice sized L-shaped galley with lots of storage
-huge head with separate shower and linen cupboard
-2 large Berths with room to sprawl out, and enough headroom in the v-berth to sit up straight in bed.
-huge open cockpit that is great for entertaining, and short handed sailing. It is easy to sail the boat without disturbing any non-sailor guests that may be on board.
-overall build quality seems very good for a production boat. Mill work all fits nicely and looks good. There is lots of synthetic laminates used, but it appears very durable, particularly the laminate cabin sole, which I suspect will age better than real wood. (Time will tell I guess)
-all the wiring is well labelled and harnesses are easy to access, and are secure and protected from chaffing.
-plumbing is also neat and tidy, done in colour coded PEX tubing.

There are a few things that I am not crazy about...

The chart plotter in the cockpit is mounted low on the end of the table pedestal so it is difficult to see from anywhere but directly behind the helms. Even then you sometimes have to bend over a bit. It would have been better on an elevated pod that could be swiveled to face the more comfortable outboard helming positions.

The transom slap can be quite loud...an unfortunate consequence of the beam that makes the boat so roomy! I have some ideas to reduce that.

The instrument panel is very basic...only one spare switch, and no easy way to add more. Digital volt meter and tank levels seem to work fine, but no ammeter at all! The panel can display amp draw, but Jeanneau did not see fit to install a shunt!

Engine panel is also basic...no temperature or pressure gauges, just idiot lights! I would prefer to have a bit more data on how my engine is running, and perhaps catch a problem before a light comes on!

The fridge is cavernous, which is great, but the freezer compartment is small. It would have been nice to have more freezer space. Also the fridge condensing unit is very difficult to access. I have some ideas to improve the fridge...stay tuned!

The salon area is great for sitting around the dinner table, and will seat 6, but some of the angles on the setees make for limited lounging space. The fake leather upholstery is durable, but cold and firm. A few pillows and blankets have improved it, but we still have a bit of work to make the interior more cozy and inviting.

The opening portlights above the stove and in the head cannot be opened in rainy weather without letting rain in. The head also has an opening overhead hatch that is protected by the Dodger, but it would be nice to have ventilation directly above the stove when cooking on wet days.

I am sure I will discover more little annoyances over time, but so far we are overjoyed with our purchase!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome