SailNet Community - View Single Post - Review Your Own Boat
View Single Post
post #19 of Old 01-09-2020
riggy001
Owner 1973 C-41 Sloop

Send a message via AIM to riggy001 Send a message via Yahoo to riggy001
Re: Review Your Own Boat

1973 Columbia 41 Center Cockpit Motorsailer

With an 11-foot beam to a 41 foot length, she is very narrow making space aboard at a premium (for her length). Top this off with the fact that the table in the main saloon is mast-mounted and does not service the starboard side settee, feeding a crew of 6 is cumbersome. Also, the cabin sole is an ugly bare wood under white paint laden with screw heads outlining the 4 tanks (2 fuel and 2 water). The battery bank takes up storage under the aft section of the v-berth (which would be best suited for storage--maybe as a clothes dresser--rather than the cavern under the cabin sole where the generator is. There is little storage in the galley, but there is ample storage in the stateroom, so much that the galley storage includes the stateroom--pots and such live on the port side (the side the galley is on) under the aft berth in those drawers. However, since I have added a lift-up table to extend the limited counter space, the door to the stateroom must be closed to use the table, restricting access to the stateroom. The saloon settee cabinets are rather spacious, but not tall enough to stow full-size books! It's only 11-7/8" tall (Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual will not fit in there vertically).
With a nearly 7 foot freeboard and a 2 foot coaming, don't expect the cockpit to get even moist except during a hurricane or seas over 20 feet. I have never sailed her, but I believe that 10 foot seas would leave the cockpit totally splashless (and maybe sprayless depending on the wind), and possibly 15 foot seas. It might get wet (with seawater) at 20'. (I have been in 20 foot seas in the Gulf of Mexico on a 96 foot CamCraft oilfield Crew Boat named "Judy D" for Marine Transportation of Panama City FL).
This boat was possibly abused and definitely neglected by the previous owner(s), and as I was unaware of the "e-Bay Buyer Protection" at the time, I bought a pig. I removed a bulkhead with a Shop-Vac for God's sake! But I am replacing all the rotted wood (and stopping all the leaks) with Marine ply and REAL TEAK! This has been a very expensive venture and I can only hope to break even on the sale.

ALL NEW CANVAS! BIMINI COVERS DODGER MORE

https:/flickr.com/photos/riggy001 $20,000 worth of canvas and wood work completed to date.

I will accept $28,000 with the all new canvas, new settee cushions (upholstered), new galley cabinet and counter, and LP Gas piped into the galley. I personally sewed everything! With a 1958 Singer Model 66-16!

PICS at https://flickr.com/photos/riggy001

Last edited by riggy001; 01-09-2020 at 10:13 PM. Reason: adding price

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome