SailNet Community - View Single Post - Review Your Own Boat
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 01-10-2020
drew1711

Re: Review Your Own Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
Bristol 29.9

• Skeg hung rudder - supports and protects the rudder.
  • Prop in aperture - protects the prop and offers some resistance to snagging crap pots, etc.
  • easy access to chain plates for inspection and replacement.
  • good engine access especially considering her size
  • Beautiful - I love her classic lines beautiful warm interior
  • Solid, quiet - The interior is all hand built mahogany, tabbed to the hull. it's all well made, lovey and sturdy. It's hard to explain the comfort I gets when coming off watch, going down below to a quiet restful place. I've been on so many boats that creak squeak and grind in a seaway making it hard to get rest.
  • Lead encapsulated keel - I prefer this to a bolt on keel
  • large chart table
  • well balanced under sail, tracks well and has a light touch on the wheel.
  • bulkhead mounted table with leaf. In the smaller configuration it does not block access to any part of the boat. However if the leaf is opened it will block access to the head and v berth
  • fast - for an old, fat, heavy boat. We have won our share of PHRF races.
  • Storage - well thought out and quite a lot for a small boat.

Dislikes:
  • Poor side deck drainage - Water flowing down the side decks will not drain overboard fast enough and overflows onto the cockpit seats! It soaks your ass and feet. Not so bad in the summer, but damned annoying in the cool weather.
  • Anchor locker is shallow. you need to be deliberate when stowing rode so that it does not bunch up.
  • Butcher-block Formica in the galley and chart table. It's "so 70's"
  • Chart table has no fiddles (I'll address that this summer)
  • Chart table uses the quarter berth for a seat. I dislike this layout very much. It makes access to the quarter berth awkward either as a berth or as storage. And makes sitting at the chart table uncomfortable.
  • The head is a tight squeeze - it's narrow and tucked up against the mast.
  • not fast - to old, fat and heavy. We have not won enough PHRF races!
  • Storage - I guess there is really never enough storage :-)
This about nails it.

I'll have to evaluate it carefully this spring, but I think if the cockpit carlins are removed and bedded with butyl tape, that will prevent water ingress to the cockpit. Also, there is a chain locker forward of and below the v-birth that requires installation of a hawse pipe on deck to utilize it, a must for all chain rode.

Another positive IMO is the very large and deep starboard cockpit locker. The inner wall is removable allowing really good engine access. Maintenance work is a snap.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome