SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which emergency use fibreglass matting should I have?
View Single Post
post #46 of Old 01-22-2020
Minnewaska

Re: Which emergency use fibreglass matting should I have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
......So the ability for one, on a calm day, to motor fast 2 or 3 nms to intercept a ship and fire flares near the bridge with the ability to return to the life-raft if unsuccessful, would be a life and death risk. But maybe better than a die anyway risk.......
That's in interesting thought. Stay in the raft, but keep the dink so you can motor toward a potential rescue vessel. I'll bet it's much easier to be recovered from a dingy, with a motor, as you can help maneuver into position yourself.

Of course, this would require calms seas, as you note. I also wonder what it would be like in really snotty seas, with a dinghy tied to the liferaft. Would it be more or less stable, as it went over sea tops. What would happen if the dink was capsized.

Good stuff to think about. Captain's call.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome