SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which emergency use fibreglass matting should I have?
View Single Post
post #50 of Old 01-23-2020
overthehorizon

Re: Which emergency use fibreglass matting should I have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Hi Folks

For your advice

To add to my "Ooops This Voyage Ain't Going Well" emergency supplies I am wanting to get something to cover a blown out hatch / window etc, or general purpose large hole problem, to stop water ingress.
Scenario:
Long passage over 1,000 nms and a wave breaks off, smashes etc one of 13 opening hatches or 3 large deck windows. Resultant water ingress or clear danger of it.
Cover hole with any firm board, timber, door etc
Mark, While delivering a Hinckly 50 from Main to Virgin Gorda, we got caught up in terrible weather, well south of Bermuda. Tremendous waves were coming out of the north while another wave train, of equally high waves, came out of the east. Sometimes these waves collided perfectly to send geysers high into the sky. One wave did catch us and blew out the portlight over the nav station, and opposite the galley. Very impressive. While laying on a favorable tack to keep the break in the lee, the only quick fix was to take the spare hatch board, (the normal hatch boards were a gem of highly glossy varnish) and set it outside the break and take a stainless steel pipe to secure from the inside. The join was a length of line used like a Spanish Windlass. So we had to use a sharp knife to drill holes in the spare hatch board. Rags stuffed around the edges did a pretty good job of keeping the water out. Sounds easy but it took 10 hours to complete. You can't use fiberglass resin in wet conditions.....and even if dry, bouncing around in bad conditions, trying to mix and spilling resin would be an additional disaster.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 01-23-2020 at 02:17 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome