SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coppercoat Application, Screw Up or Did I Do Okay
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 01-23-2020 Thread Starter
overthehorizon

Re: Coppercoat Application, Screw Up or Did I Do Okay

colemj, you are making me feel better about my aggressive sanding of the Coppercoat, which is contrary to the Coppercoat instructions. At least I will know the copper is well exposed. The only time I used such fine sand paper, of 320 or 400 grit, was finish sanding on the smoothest top side surfaces in preparation for gloss paint. Coppercoat recommends those sanding grits to activate the copper in the Coppercoat. That might work on a glass smooth finish but I have never seen a Coppercoat application that smooth. All applications I have seen are very dimpled, even when using the finest, smoothest, rollers, applied by professionals. That is why we went back with the green scrubby and wet sanded to try to get even more into the valleys of those fine dimples, and etch those surfaces. I do wonder what would happen, on a future haul out, if you should sand the Coppercoat a bit more aggressively, if that would expose more copper and increase performance.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome