SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coppercoat Application, Screw Up or Did I Do Okay
View Single Post
post #21 of Old 01-25-2020
colemj

Re: Coppercoat Application, Screw Up or Did I Do Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
The best example is about washing off sanding dust prior to the application of Coppercoat. Coppercoat says to wash dust off with fresh water. Yes, but how? With a brush, rag, just hose itů One can take a 3,000 psi, pressure washer, and wash a car and still have a layer of residual dirt left on the surface. Using a soft bristle brush, while washing the car, will be equally ineffective. A soft rag has to be used during washing to get that car clean. We found the same rag method was necessary when washing all the sanding dust off our boat in between sandings and fiberglass layups or more puttying. So following the Coppercoat directions might not be the best method for some boat owners. Just relying on wiping down with clean paper towels, or very clean rags, and alcohol, I felt was not enough.
While residual dust might interfere with adhesion, it wouldn't have any bearing on antifouling performance.

If one doesn't follow the manufacturer's explicit instructions, then what recourse does one have with the manufacturer?

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome