SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Eastern Seaboard State for Sales Tax
View Single Post
post #53 of Old 02-01-2020
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Best Eastern Seaboard State for Sales Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The history of taxes is interesting. Tax in some form, has been around forever. We started a revolutionary war over it (sort of, it was really just the straw that broke our back). Most of the time it was strictly based on commerce or land. It’s more interesting to hear modern political rhetoric, which pretends all these taxes always existed. One candidate wants to use them to redistribute, the next wants to give you your money back. They are both trying to buy someone’s vote. I wish we could come up, with a system that separated policy and law making, from the money.

Both sales and income taxes have only been around permanently in the US since the early 1900s. I think NY, where you live, didn’t adopt until much later. 60s ish?

I wonder how many realize it took a constitutional amendment to give the federal government the right to assess a permanent income tax. Most can’t even answer basic civics questions, but are still allowed to vote.

I say all ballot boxes should be electronic. You cast your votes and are then presented with 5 basic civics questions. If you don’t get 4 right, your vote doesn’t count. 🙂
A test to vote?

I suggest that the “civics” questions picked are by the primary groups Which now make up the US population not by a bunch of educated white old men. This thinking is a way to exclude other less educated citizens .

A litmus test like this has no bearing on the qualifications of a voter to pick THEIR individual candidate. These “Jim Crow” like qualifications were exactly what the southern states tried and continually try to “pare” down their roles of minority voters. The Constitution guarantees civil rights and liberties to the individual—like freedom of speech, press, and religion. it doesn’t require a litmus test. Any attempt to prevent ANY citizen of the US from exercising their legal rights by putting obstructions from voting like a test will and have been ruled unconstitutional. 😃😃😃😃

This really has nothing to do with the OP original question but is a reply to the drift created in the previous post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome