SailNet Community - View Single Post - Offshore Sailing Tips
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 02-09-2020
Minnewaska

Re: Offshore Sailing Tips

I'm sure a wrap of tape would keep a pelican hook closed, but if the pin has been pulled, I don't think it will be very strong. I think I'd rather see it was open, than accidentally fall into a gate that was only held by one wrap of tape. Then again, I've never had a sheet accidentally pull a gate open.

I was originally taught to keep the fresh water pump off on passage and used to be more disciplined about it. I've even had a fresh water hose split and dump a good portion of fresh water into the bilge, while underway, because it was still pressurized. However, needing to turn the pump back on, from the galley or any head is a PITA. I hate using the head and finding no water, when trying to wash hands and it's too late.

I've tried to think of other solutions. Maybe a light at the helm that illuminated, when the fresh water pump was running. My bilge pump used to have an alarm that sounded, if it ran continuously for more than a specified number of seconds. I found it to be fluky and disconnected that feature in favor of a standard float alarm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome