SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is paying for a slip worth it?
View Single Post
post #42 of Old 02-10-2020
jephotog

Re: Is paying for a slip worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Mast up trailer storage is on my list of ideas for sure, about 1/5th the cost. Then I lose the convenience of having a boat in the water to chillax on though.

Bigdog, the marinas require insurance, insurance requires a survey. Insurance surveys are the biggest scam going in the marine industry, especially on boats this size.
The further away your boat is the better it would be to have it in a slip. The location should also be way worth the drive' good cruising grounds, nice marina, with restaurants nearby. Then the slip is more like a vacation home on the water.

When i lived in Oceanside California I had a group owned 32 footer 40 minutes (to 1.5 hrs depending on traffic) away in San Diego. It was a great place to visit during holidays and long weekends. I spent more days sleeping or working on the boat than sailing.

I now live an hour from the nearest Lake and 3 hours from the lake with better sailing. My plan is to keep an S2 7.9 mast up 3 hours from here. That lake has a yacht club and racing program, I hope to participate in this summer. After years wait I may be in line to get a buoy for the lake an hour away, i hope to keep my Potter 19 on to spend one or two nights a week onboard.

I have only gotten quotes on either boat but without any thruhulls, I don't know that I need a survey. I hope not I can't imagine there is a plethora of marine surveyors in Wyoming.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome