SailNet Community - View Single Post - What kinda mounted GPS unit should I buy?
View Single Post
post #39 of Old 02-12-2020
Paul2000

Re: What kinda mounted GPS unit should I buy?

I have been reading about the current ais units and navionics / Boat HD app. I like the boat HD app because I can put it on several devices as a backup. You can download the area so you have your maps on your device. If you buy a AIS later, you can get one with wifi and it will put the AIS data on your tablet or phone via the AIS internal wifi. I am new to sailing but have been around electronics my whole life. It seems a dedicated chart plotter would be nice, but it seems you need to buy maps for it also. I like how the navionics allows the users to automatically upload sonar data as they travel and then share the more updated maps with all the users. Basically everyone is helping make the maps more accurate as they travel. I have it on my tablet and my phone currently to get use to the app. I still don't have a boat yet but am hoping this year. If you get a tablet for using navionics / Boat HD, make sure it has internal GPS and a plus if it has GLONASS. Some tablets now are being sold to only use the wifi location for your location, which is useless when you are out of range of wifi. A water proof tablet would be nice too. I don't know about the wireless charging, but it would be nice to not have to plug it in all the time and just buy a wireless charger where it will be used. I think Boating HD costs around $15 per year, very affordable for what it does.

Last edited by Paul2000; 02-12-2020 at 06:41 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome