SailNet Community - View Single Post - Polishing fuel filter change procedure
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 02-21-2020
Minnewaska

Re: Polishing fuel filter change procedure

If you're in a pinch and need to get this done, without the manual, here are some methods...... Which is yours, I can't know. Isn't the operator manual online somewhere?

Does your fuel pump have a manual lever on it? Many/most mechanical pumps do.

If it does, shut off the fuel at the tank or wherever you can prior to the filter. Remove that ring with the grooves that is holding the bowl on. The grooves can be moved by tapping them, in the proper (lefty loosey, righty tighty) direction, with a screwdriver and hammer, as necessary. Pull the filter housing off, drain it's fuel into something you can see to inspect for contaminants. Clean the bowl and replace the filter. To replace, you can first try to fill the housing, either partially or fully. However, in many installations, you need to tip the housing to get it back to it's mount, making that messy or impossible. I don't bother, on the engine mounted filter. Push the housing back on and tighten the ring you originally loosened. I typically tighten about 1/8th turn past hand tight. Don't over tighten. Be sure the gasket seats normally and is not pinched. Now loosen that nut in the center, on the top of the filter mount. It should be the bleed screw for the filter housing. This is different than bleeding the injectors. Start pumping the manual lever on the fuel pump, until you stop seeing bubbles and see pure fuel come out. I can't reach the lever and watch, at the same time, so I put a paper towel over it and wait for a good slug of fuel. If you are not seeing bubbles or fuel, it's because the cam is not in a position to allow the lever to actuate the pump. You have to tap the starter and not let it try to fire, just to slightly move the cam and try again. Tighten the bleed screw. Turn fuel back on. Start engine. It may chug a bit and smooth out in a few seconds. If it won't start or continually runs rough, you'll need to bleed the injectors.

If you have an electric pump, removal and reinstall is the same. To refill the filter housing and prime the fuel lines to the injector pump, you typically just activating the ignition, without turning it to start. In some cases, with button start, you tap start, but don't hold so it actually starts. This powers the fuel pump which circulates fuel until pressure is achieved.

Of course, in either case, check the housing for leaks. The gasket can need replacing periodically. More often, it's not seated properly, if it's leaking.

If you're forced to bleed the injectors, it's pretty easy. You just back off the nut on top of each injector, until it's not being held by any torque. Don't fully remove. Crank engine, without starting, until fuel appears through the threads. It will get past, as the injector is pretty high pressure. Again, using a paper towel around it can help identify the fuel, if you need to go back and forth to the cockpit. Retighten the nut. Do the injectors one at a time.

That's the best I've got in the blind. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome