SailNet Community - View Single Post - Unrealistic expectations or is $50,000 enough?
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 10-11-2007
Nickiseb

Hi,
If core moisture is a priority, then why not go for an older, monolithic, hull and spend the money saved on new sails? The worst you will find in terms of osmosis is a blister job. Just some time and hard work, but make sure you ask someone who has done their own boat what they did, not a yard for a quote.. You can buy a very strong 1960's 40'er for less than $40k.
I have spent the last 15 years with a keen eye on the US boat market (I live in England) and if you have $50k ready to go, there is no question you can find a superbly seaworthy boat, in good condition, within your budget. What is going to make it tricky is if you want a large double cabin aft, pressurised hot and cold water, the attendent water storage facility and all the other guff. If you just want to be afloat, somewhere warm and sleep in a cosy bed, with room to offer a couple of visiting friends other bunks on the boat, have a look at Bounty II, Alberg 35, Pearson 35 (same boat really, but less sexy), Hardin Sea Wolf etc.
I wish you luck on your quest and I hope my comments are of use.
Regards,
Nicki Crutchfield.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome