SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
post #334 of Old 08-05-2014
Minnewaska

Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynnCP View Post
....Sailing doesn't HAVE to be sexist, it's just that men tend to have more time for hobbies in general. For instance, most working women I know who have a day off spend it doing laundry, cleaning house, etc. Men are more likely to be out playing golf, etc. .......
As they say in politics, this is just rallying your base, not mainstream anymore. I can't think of too many examples of this for those under 70.

Sailing is a hobby that both my wife and I have chosen to do together. When we arrived for our cruise on Sat, I had to change the oil, replace a plumbing fitting on the washdown pump buried in the v-berth and install a new 12v TV. In the middle of it all, the bilge pump starts running continuously and I have to replace the float switch.

All the while, my wife is reading her kindle in the cockpit. Maybe sailing is sexist?

She has zero interest in learning how to do these things. I, on the other hand, know how to do laundry and clean, to use your examples. In fact, we each do our own laundry separately at home. I made dinner aboard last night too. A paella with scrod, clams, chorizo, artichokes, red pepper, string beans and tomatoes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
captain jack (08-05-2014)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome