SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
post #340 of Old 08-05-2014
captain jack

Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
This interesting thread answered the original posters question on the first page, and continues to supply the same answer;

The question was not; "Are you sexist?"

The question was; "Is sailing sexist?"

Answer, "Affirmative" At least if you use the current definition of the word.

Definition of Sexism;

sex·ism
ˈsekˌsizəm/
noun
noun: sexism

prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

synonyms: sexual discrimination, chauvinism, gender prejudice, gender bias
ok. an official definition of sexism. good. now, explain where you have seen it in this thread.

"prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, against women, on the basis of sex."

i have certainly seen it aimed at men (specificaly negative stereotyping). but i haven't noticed any posts that have been anti-woman or aimed at stating that women have no place in sailing. i also haven't seen anyone using anti-woman stereotypes. i have read a few posts recording stories of people dealing with incidents with sexist people but, nothing at all that shows that sailing (as in the activity, sport, hobby, or community) is sexist, as per the definition.

if you don't mind, could you note the ones that fit that definition; so they can be discussed. it's easy to give a general statement that such and such has been proven without siting the actual evidence in support of that statement but, it lacks real merit. using the same statement, with the same wording, anyone could easily argue that the thread continues to prove that sailing isn't sexist...and i could be supported using the evidence in the thread, too.

post number 8 gave what i would consider to be the actual answer, based on your definition.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.---Captain Jack Sparrow

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 08-05-2014 at 09:12 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome