SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
post #344 of Old 08-06-2014
TomMaine

Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Well, I think it's impossible for sailing to be sexist. "Sailing" is not a person capable of bias or prejudice.

Today, thankfully, there is a whole new generation of sailing couples that want nothing to do with the old timey yacht club make-me-want-to-puke scene. We just like to sail. Leave all that other $hit at the dock.
I agree with that. But it's difficult to take sailors out of sailing.

And I couldn't agree more that a whole new generation(not always- age related), that wants' nothing to do with the 'good old boy' attitude in yacht clubs or just about anywhere in society.

These days, I know many more female sailors and sailboat owners than I did a couple decades ago.

And I know many couples that own a sailboat and sail together, or as families, where she brought them into sailing.

And in the sailing/marine industry, I know more females working as captains in all scale of boats. Racing, the gender gap is closing a bit too. It's a good time.

I have a daughter 23, and a son 22, both are fine sailors and will no doubt be involved in sailing for their entire lives. If they grow families, they too will be involved.

I don't see a lot of difference between the two of them-where it relates to sailing.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome