SailNet Community - View Single Post - Women at Sea
Thread: Women at Sea
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 10-17-2007
dpatlee

Women at sea - I can relate to that

Oh how I can relate to this wonderful article. As a middle aged women who loves sailing but who spends much of the time, when the wind is high, hanging on for grim death with her eyes closed.I could relate to everyones fears and anxieties about cruising. I love the grace and freedom of a yacht skimming across our beautiful Tasmanian bays and when the wind is light it is a period of indescribable joy. My husband and I sailed when we first got married 38 years ago but sold the yacht as domesticity settled in. We purchased a trailerable yacht in 2000 and had 4 years of pleasure although mostly just sitting on it for a relaxing Sunday afternoon in the Marina. When moving to Tasmania in late 2004 we again sold the yacht - but I really missed her. My husband has been racing with an elderly gentleman here and I occasionally got to sail with him too. In June this year we purchased a Columbia 27 and have been sailing quite a bit before the racing season started and only when the weather is good.

Recognising that I need and want to do more I emailed a female yachty at another club seeking someone who was willing to train and race with some amateur women against the men. So now we have an all women crew to race in the weekly Sunday pennant series and in fact I have more women like me who want to sail but need to build confidence. Thanks to our fantastically patient expert Anne, we will be taking the men on for our first race this week.
I cannot guarantee that I wont sail with my eyes closed for a while - but here goes nothing - maybe in 12 months I will laugh at the nerves that I show!
Thanks ladies for a laugh and a realisation that I am not alone.

Pat

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome