SailNet Community - View Single Post - RS-232 to Bluetooth Converters
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 08-19-2014
SVAuspicious
Mermaid Hunter

Re: RS-232 to Bluetooth Converters

Hmm. What are you planning to use it for?

I use Bluetooth (BT) on Auspicious for my computer printer and for headsets (phone and computer). I have wired back-ups for the headsets. Everything that uses BT has it built in.

I've done a number of Pactor installations with the Bluetooth option. I don't generally recommend it but I'll do it. Again, everything has BT built in at both ends of the link.

Janet has a BT mouse on her travel laptop that does have a BT dongle that came with the mouse.

Bluetooth operates in one of the Industrial Scientific Medical (ISM) bands around 2.4 GHz. These allow unlicensed radio operation for microwave ovens, cordless phones, WiFi, motion detectors, remote controls, baby monitors, and other devices. I don't think anything mission critical (like Pactor radio modems) should depend on ISM links. YMMV.

A flaky TV remote control or phone BT headset shouldn't interfere with HF radio e-mail.

I guess this isn't very helpful.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome