SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cost of email at sea services
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 09-22-2014
SVAuspicious
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Cost of email at sea services

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
I an trying to hook up my globalstar 1600 to my laptop. As far as I can tell, the bottom line is roughly $250 a year from one of the various services, sailmail, ocens etc etc.
You'll pay $250 - $500 / year plus airtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
To clarify, I definitely want to use my globalstar sat phone. I am trying to figure out the most economical way of doing it. I can connect to the internet find, but I can't use gmail at 9.6bps. I know I need a text-based client.....
Any web-based client will chew through huge gobs of time and money. You can use nearly any e-mail client including Airmail (great for weather and other sailing products), Outlook, Thunderbird, and others over sat-phone.

Add a Pactor modem to your SSB and you'll trade a bigger up-front cost for much much lower running costs and the same speeds as Iridium; Globalstar is faster but still has spotty coverage. Get your ham license and you can use Winlink and include attachments. It's all still going to be slow.

If you are set on sat phone you WILL want a car kit (fixed installation below) and marine-grade external antenna.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome