SailNet Community - View Single Post - The downside of sailboat ownership
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 12-03-2007 Thread Starter
deniseO30
One of None

Talking The downside of sailboat ownership

I've aways loved sailboats, boats, boat building, restoration, etc. Now I finally own a sailboat! Also, now that I have a couple of yrs of sailboat ownership I love it even more! Isn't that wonderful? Of all the things I've tried over my lifetime this hobby doesn't seem to be waining,, it's actually becoming a lifestyle!

The downside; I've come to realize that many if not all friends, family, and associates DON'T share my passion and really aren't interested. NO one EVER thinks to ask or tell me they want to go out on the boat. Well, yes my son loves it, (but he's in love with a young lady now) and I share the passion with other sailors. I'm getting closer to having people want to race on my boat eventually. But from all those that are part of my life for many yrs. it's silence... Sure, a few have gone out on the boat once... then after? nada! zilch, nope no way

Having been reading many posts on here and other forums I know there a many sailors out there that have the same feelings/experiance. I know some of us envy those that have big familes, lots of friends that want to go sailing, cruising, racing, or just being on the boat. But for those that don't.. I say, GO SAIL! You can and will have great times even if you just sit on the boat and chill out with your guitar, keyboard, reading material. Many times i can't wait to turn off the iron genny and radio so I can be more in tune with the water, wind and boat! (check back on me in the spring aftet i do my first solo trip to Chesepeake Bay)

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome