SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rope mats
Thread: Rope mats
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 12-15-2007
NoDakCoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoganc View Post
I too am having difficulty seeing the overs and unders of this layup. Would like to try this one if anyone can give me some help on the first layup of the knot. From there it should be easy. Thanks
I don't know if you have already been helped or not, but hopefully I can clarify things for the Ocean Plait for you (It's a little harder to describe the ladder step). Starting with the bitter end that is on the left hand side and following it around, it goes under, then over, then under, over, under, over, under, over, under, over. The second is actually simple, you simply drape the left loop over the right loop. The third step can be a little confusing. Starting with the bitter end on the right hand side pull this under the middle loop, then pulling diagonally to the lower left drape this over the next two cords and under the last loop. Next take the bitter end on the left hand side, pull this over the middle loop under the second cord, over the third, under the fourth and finally over the last loop. Then, simply follow the other cords around to make as many tucks as you want.

If you want better clarification, I have pictures of an Ocean Plait that I made out of 3/4" Manilla, pretty much step by step. I can email them to you if you like.

Let me know if this has been helpful, or if all I have done is to confuse the heck out of you.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome