SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting little video
View Single Post
post #26 of Old 11-25-2014
Minnewaska

Re: Interesting little video

I missed this in Aug, very nice vid. Almost too nice for a guy that seems to be living as frugally as indicated. Nevertheless, it's a great forum escape.

I do think about how I would feel if my kids chose that lifestyle. A part of me would be very supportive of them pursuing a dream, being self sufficient, learning something outside the ordinary.

Perhaps my biggest concern would be for catastrophic medical care/insurance, which I assume none of the kids we see in these vids has. The odds are in their favor, but it's life and death, if they come up with the short straw. I had a niece die of ovarian cancer at 26 yrs old. It can happen.

Assuming they got off the train in time to begin to save for a retirement, then doing this young works. I know plenty of people work and stay ashore, but I'm thinking of these kids that just work odd job on their cruise to pay for food and diesel. Sooner or later, everyone will move back ashore, unless you die young.

Well done vid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome