SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat without a mast
View Single Post
post #77 of Old 01-13-2015
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Sailboat without a mast

I love it; "If one could repower up a bit to have a frankenstein trawler cat that would be efficient at low speed (trawler-like gph) but have some 'umph' when you needed/wished to go faster, too."
Yeah, that's the poor man's way, let's just repower! A couple of BIGGER diesels will probably need bigger shafts, different screws and perhaps even struts.
Never mind that most cats have very narrow engine spaces, and oh, I guess we will need to reinforce the engine beds for the greater horsepower. Of course, adding a few hundred pounds to the stern of any boat, let alone a cat, should really improve performance as well, wouldn't you think?
Repowering with bigger engines to go slow is like buying a shrimp trawler or a tug boat to make long distance voyages; it is never economical.
I love how some people will come on here with a rather impractical idea and abuse those who have a pretty good idea of that impracticality, ignoring some pretty good advice. If I had a buck.......

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome