SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Cal 2-46 owner!
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 01-19-2015
Gliderider

Re: New Cal 2-46 owner!

I know that boat we looked at it when we decided to get a 246. Well as far as rigging goes I will spend whatever it takes to make it right, I have a lot of experience with cables and rigging so I am confident in my ability to inspect and replace as needed. The boat we bought spent most of its time at the dock as a live aboard the rigging with the exception of the lines and furlers is in great shape, the bearing kits for the furlers are 500 each and I need two and I estimate the line replacement cost to be between 2000 and 3000, but that's every line on the boat.
I have priced fuel tanks in stainless steel,aluminum,poly, and ballistic fabric tanks as used by the military, I worked on many boats with aluminum tanks and I don't care for them, too much corrosion. The stainless would be ok but expensive, the ballistic fabric tanks need basically a coffin structure for support and are also expensive, I priced out having poly tanks made to same dimensions as the originals and the were 3k each without sending units or any plumbing, so I contacted moeller and they manufacture tanks that will work with some cradle modifications,however I will need to relocate the fills on deck which I plan to change anyway, I don't like flush deck fills they are to easy to get water into. I have to do some measuring and if they will fit I plan on increasing tankage to 150 gal each. We plan on extensive cruising and not having to worry about fuel will make it more enjoyable.

I don't have a lot of sailing experience other than my little trailer sailer but I have a lot of powerboat experience US Coast Guard as well as being a merchant marine for 14 years, I've been all over the world in all kinds of weather so I know what's out there, my wife is currently serving as Chief Mate on a ship that re supplies the navy, however she has a captains unlimited credential.
We plan on making it happen when I get the refit completed.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome