SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Cal 2-46 owner!

Tags
2-46 cal ketch
11K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  SVAKIA 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

Jumping the gun a bit here, but the offer I made on a Cal 2-46 ketch was accepted and I've already scheduled the survey for next week.

Of course, it's possible they'll find something that kills the deal, but short of that, it looks like I'm in the club.

... and on that subject, I've been searching around and haven't managed to find any specific 2-46 owner's group.

Does anyone know of a registry, forum, or group for 2-46 owners?

#3 ·
I've read through the owner of Brightwater's blog.. very interesting stuff, especially regarding tankage.

Have you spent much time sailing your 2-46? It's a stout rig, to be sure, and a small sail area, but I was a little worried about the ballast/displacement ratio. Do you find her to be particularly tender?

#4 ·
Well she was not in sailable condition when we bought her, all the rigging needs to be replaced, she has a furling main and foresail and both furlers were locked up. we motored to the marina she's at now, and started the refit, when the electrical is finished the fuel and potable tanks are next, then the sanitation system, then the rigging, so I am shooting for a shakedown sail late this summer.

#5 ·
Interesting. Out of curiosity, roughly what are you expecting to spend on the rigging?

Is she a ketch or the sloop?

Have you priced out the tankage replacement?

My first passage will be getting her home from Oriental, NC (either inland via the ICW/Chesapeake, or some offshore towards New York if the weather is ideal) and the rigging is certainly in good enough shape for it (changed in 2009). I'm targeting end of april, and I'll gladly share my impressions.

It will be interesting, coming up from a MacGregor 26X. :laugher

I've crewed aboard a Fast Passage 39, a few CSes, a Nonsuch, and done some offshore work aboard a Nordhavn 47 trawler, but I've only ever owned/captained my little trailer sailor. Should be good times!

#6 ·
I know that boat we looked at it when we decided to get a 246. Well as far as rigging goes I will spend whatever it takes to make it right, I have a lot of experience with cables and rigging so I am confident in my ability to inspect and replace as needed. The boat we bought spent most of its time at the dock as a live aboard the rigging with the exception of the lines and furlers is in great shape, the bearing kits for the furlers are 500 each and I need two and I estimate the line replacement cost to be between 2000 and 3000, but that's every line on the boat.
I have priced fuel tanks in stainless steel,aluminum,poly, and ballistic fabric tanks as used by the military, I worked on many boats with aluminum tanks and I don't care for them, too much corrosion. The stainless would be ok but expensive, the ballistic fabric tanks need basically a coffin structure for support and are also expensive, I priced out having poly tanks made to same dimensions as the originals and the were 3k each without sending units or any plumbing, so I contacted moeller and they manufacture tanks that will work with some cradle modifications,however I will need to relocate the fills on deck which I plan to change anyway, I don't like flush deck fills they are to easy to get water into. I have to do some measuring and if they will fit I plan on increasing tankage to 150 gal each. We plan on extensive cruising and not having to worry about fuel will make it more enjoyable.

I don't have a lot of sailing experience other than my little trailer sailer but I have a lot of powerboat experience US Coast Guard as well as being a merchant marine for 14 years, I've been all over the world in all kinds of weather so I know what's out there, my wife is currently serving as Chief Mate on a ship that re supplies the navy, however she has a captains unlimited credential.
We plan on making it happen when I get the refit completed.

#7 ·
Guess the odds of coming across a particular boat are pretty high when hull numbers barely pass double-digits, eh? :laugher

So I take it your boat is already fitted with sta-lok? Or were you planning to swage the new cable yourself?

Kinda surprised by the tank pricing. That's one thing I'm not looking forward to, for sure. I guess I've got some research to do there.

In any case, should receive the survey report some time tomorrow. Pretty excited!

#8 ·
That is exciting I hope your survey goes well,
yeah the tanks are pricey. I am doing all my own work so I dont have any labor costs. one thing I can suggest is, if you are doing the work yourself research the ABYC standards, its like renovating an old house if you change something it has to meet ABYC code, boat insurers insist on it. I removed two black garbage bags of derelict wires from years of helter skelter wiring. i've spent hours and hours and a wheelbarrow load of money redoing the wiring to meet ABYC specs.
The shrouds and backstay have sta-loc fittings installed, I have a hyde streamstay forestay so it doesnt have a wire it uses an extruded aluminum alloy rod. I will be changing all the chainplate bolts and rebedding.

#9 ·
Hi gentlemen. In case your interested there is a cal 2-46 Google Group; search for it and join up. Not super active but some posts and a few members. I bought my 2-46 in Mazatlan in Nov 2013 and have her home in Victoria BC now about 75% through a major refit of pretty much everything. No regrets on this though they are really wonderful boats and I just don't think much else compares. (not that I am biased of course! )

#10 ·
There is an active user's group on Google: cal46.. lots of great information sharing and quite active.

Send an email to request to join.

Regards
David s/v Merry Dolphin

#11 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice; I sent a request to join the Google cal46 group.

Apologies for not replying much, but long story short: the deal is done. Survey went well, and I'm just waiting for the close. It's been a busy few weeks, to say the least!

I'm presently planning a trip up the East coast to bring the boat to Kingston, Ontario, for the end of April / early May. So excited!

#15 ·
I too am in escrow with a Cal 2 46. My survey is next week. Like you I'm interested in a collaborative blog. As a past owner of an Amel 48, I can already see the basic differences, but am wondering how the two will compare for live aboard purposes. Keep in touch. Peter in San Diego. PS My escrow and vessel are out of state on the West Coast. USMMA '66 with sailing and cruising experience. I may hold on to this one until the right and affordable Amel Super Maramu comes around. :)

#17 ·
I too am in escrow with a Cal 2 46. My survey is next week. Like you I'm interested in a collaborative blog. As a past owner of an Amel 48, I can already see the basic differences, but am wondering how the two will compare for live aboard purposes. Keep in touch. Peter in San Diego. My escrow is out of state on the West Coast. USMMA '66:|

#18 · (Edited)
We purchased SV Brightwater and have used their blog as a guide to some of the things that were done to her. She is now SV AKIA you can follow our story and all things we've had to do since the purchase 2 years ago on SV AKIA you tube and on Facebook. Planning to cut ties in 2020 for the longterm adventure. Judy & Rick Dunbar Fair winds everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.