SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dinghy theft protection
View Single Post
post #14 of Old 02-13-2015 Thread Starter
Minnewaska

Re: Dinghy theft protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
We always have painted state registration numbers directly on the inflatables we've owned. I have figured it might be a pain to remove them, and that might be a deterrent.
Good point. One would certainly have to feel they could far enough away, quickly enough, to deal with them. Mine are vinyl lettering, but would be a bit tough to quickly remove and not look suspicious.

Obviously, this does nothing to deter motor theft.[/QUOTE]

I'm happy to hear motor theft prevention too, but I am focused on the whole boat. It's just so easy to take your pick, pull the cord and take off. I'm pleasantly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I confess that I'm also thinking about how you prevent a drunk from just taking the wrong dinghy. This, in fact, does happen to charters with some frequency. The idea of pulling the plug wire or something that makes it inoperable or gives the drunk enough time to realize they're in the wrong dink is attractive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome