SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best handheld GPS/Chartplotter under $400?
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 04-21-2015 Thread Starter
Michigander
Scalawag

Re: Best handheld GPS/Chartplotter under $400?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I happen to like the dedicated GPS units - less complexity but more dependable IMHO.
There are some Garmin models that are closer to $200 which would probably be more than adequate for your purposes.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnT...dhelds-p1.html

These often can be found on eBay as well.

My experience with using Navionics software on a tablet tells me it is much more complex than a dedicated GPS unit. The android needs a wifi signal to work, which means that you need a cell phone with a large data plan & you need to be within range of a cell tower.
The android phone and/or the android tablet needs wifi/data streaming to work? What makes the Navionics software on a tablet complex (i have never used it)? It seems like it would be fairly simple with pinch zoom and drag to reposition the view.

#smallplanet

Pearson Ensign
Merit 25

"Two little mice fell into a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned, but the second mouse, he struggled so hard that he eventually churned that cream into butter and he walked out. Amen." --- Frank Abagnale Jr. after he was asked to say grace

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome