SailNet Community - View Single Post - Florida is at it again
View Single Post
post #157 of Old 04-24-2015
travlin-easy

Re: Florida is at it again

For all of you folks that carry musical instruments aboard your boats, many municipalities in Florida and other states have a regulation pertaining to amplified music played outdoors. The restriction in most states is that no outdoor, amplified music can played after 10 p.m.. That includes your radio, CD player and TV. This particular law is strictly enforced and the fine is pretty hefty. When I performed at the tiki bars and marina restaurants in the keys, the music usually was from 6 till 9 p.m.. They used to have music from 7 till 10 p.m., but if you ran five minutes beyond 10 p.m., there was a sheriff's deputy having a serious talk with the club owner and he was writing them a citation. One owner told me that the fine was $500 per offense, but I'm not sure if that's true.

They also have a DB level law that is strictly enforced as well. Exceed that level and there will be a deputy sheriff knocking on your hull to get your attention. They DO have DB meters in some of the patrol cars. Unfortunately, that law never seems to apply to the motorcycles that roar down US Route 1 with straight pipes and no mufflers.

All the best,

Gary

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome