SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winch re-build / lube time.
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 03-05-2008
BarryL

Hello,

That is a decent kit to start with. Unfortunately, until you disassemble your winch, you won't know what you need to service it. If they have not been maintained, you may need to replace a few pawls and springs. The kit you are buying contains the springs, but no pawls.

Are there any local marine stores near you? If so, I would just buy some grease and some solvent, and start with that. If, after you take the winch apart, you decide you need additional parts, you can just buy them local. If you don't have any places local, then buy the kit and keep your fingers crossed.

Is your boat in the water or on land? If it's in the water, you really should follow the standard recommendation of taking a study box, curring a hole in the bottom and placing it over the winch. This way, if you drop any pieces, you have a least some chance of them falling into the box and not the bottom of the water (don't ask me know I know).

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome